Actor Seo Kang Joon recently filmed a scene for Are You Human? where he aggressively hit Gong Seung Yeon‘s character in the head.
Are You Human? began airing on June 4.
Seo Kang Joon’s character Nam Shin assaulted Gong Seung Yeon’s character So Bong in front of a crowd after discovering that she took secret videos of him to sell to the press.
Viewers who saw the scene felt disturbed as netizens began criticizing the scene’s violence.
- “This is too much. I personally believe these kinds of dramas shouldn’t exist.”
- “He hit her so hard I couldn’t watch the scene.”
- “I saw this when it first aired and I couldn’t believe my eyes.”
- “Please don’t tell me she falls in love with someone who hit her.”
- “I don’t understand the reason behind the violence of the scene.”
- “I was literally scared at the scene… I don’t even think he had to hit her during the scene. I don’t f*cking understand why the director added this.”
The backlash became worse when it was revealed that the director insisted that Seo Kang Joon hit Gong Seung Yeon for real, claiming anything else would look too fake.
- “Seriously… the director is terrible.”
- “Omg he hit her for real…? Wtf director…?”
- “I feel bad for both of the actors…”
- “I wonder how bad the actors felt after this scene… I feel bad for them.”
Seo Kang Joon revealed during an interview that he hesitated for a while, but the director insisted that they try it for real once.
But it didn’t happen just once. Gong Seung Yeon revealed that they had to retake the scene multiple times that her ear began to hurt.
Are You Human? airs every Monday and Tuesday.